Often employers ask employees to travel long distances to places that are not their normal place of work, including overseas. Issues can then arise on what a company’s policy is with regards to working time, transport, health and safety and paying for travelling time. If policies and procedures are not in place you could be left wondering what your employment rights are.

Working time, under the Working Time Regulations 1998, is defined as any period during which workers:

  • Are carrying out their duties, and working at their employer’s disposal
  • Are receiving ‘relevant training’

And so normal travel to work is not classed as working time.

Should travel time be paid?

If you are paid an hourly rate you should be given time off in lieu for any business travel outside your normal working hours. Your entitlement to time in lieu may be found in your contract of employment and if not check with your employer. Your pay should not fall below the National Minimum Wage, which has some different rules on what is ‘working time’ according to the most recent government guidance on calculating the minimum wage (Click here for more information on calculating the minimum wage) or you can download the HR Solver App for more information.

If you are a salaried member of staff payment for travel out with working hours is less common but it still depends on your contract of employment. You may be entitled to time off in lieu or overtime. This is also something which can be agreed between you and your employer if it is not covered in your contract of employment.

The management of travel expenses are normally directed by your company’s travel expenses policy.

Health and Safety for regular work travellers

If you travel regularly your employer should also carry out relevant risk assessments. Frequent travel can have a negative effect on an employee’s health, which could in turn lead to sickness absence and reduced productivity. Risk assessments should ensure that you take rest breaks if you drive regularly and your eyesight should be tested regularly also.

If you make use of your own car or van for work, your company should have procedures in place to ensure your vehicle is appropriately insured and they may regularly check for this as well as check your driver’s licence for any fines and endorsements. Using mobile phones while driving, drink driving, drug driving etc. is also likely to be covered in any company policies.

If you have any questions about traveling for work purposes and your entitlements, read our Article on ‘What is considered as Travel Time’ or chat to one of our HR experts.

FREE GUIDE to determine if you have a good Employment tribunal Case

Not sure if you have a strong case or even any case at all for an employment tribunal?

Not sure if you should make a fuss? Feel lost and unsure? Download our free guide and in less than 5 minutes you'll know the answers and if you have a claim that might be worth something.

How to write a powerful appeal letter so your employer takes you seriously.

Learn how to create a powerful appeal letter which makes your employer really consider your case and understand that you are a force to be reckoned with...even if you are no good at letter writing.

If you have been dismissed (sacked) or issued with a disciplinary warning this detailed and effective training enables you to write a fabulous and effective appeal letter. Includes, templates, timelines and training.

FREE Disciplinary Meeting Checklist Download

Never been to a disciplinary meeting? You're not alone! It's a scary thought. Worried about it being fair, how to act, what to say, what not to say and how to prepare? Download our free checklist so you go into the meeting feeling prepared, confident and able to challenge effectively. Our checklist will prepare you with everything you NEED to know.