Mum used to say, ‘Open your mouth and let your belly rumble’.
A minor badly timed question or quip normally gets a laugh, however, some badly positioned questions can be career dashing…
9 questions to avoid asking when talking with your boss, if you value your job…..equally if you don’t…. 😉
- Asking, in a rather direct tone, “What exact training and qualifications do you have….?.”
- “Did you pass all of your exams?…Really?!?…”
- “Is it is possible that you might “forget” to record the last time you were off sick on a Friday? HR don’t really need to know…. do they?” Completely overlooking the fact your boss and colleagues have had to pick up your work.
- “Do you think you’ll ever pick it up like John did?” John being their predecessor. Ouch!
- “What are you going to do to earn respect from this team?…They’re tough nuts to crack”
- “What’s your view on a wee drink at lunchtime?”
- “I know I am just back today, but it would be great if could prioritise approving my holiday request. Need to get it booked before the price goes up”
- “You must get loads of overtime”… unlikely managers are often paid a fixed salary and don’t get more for extra hours.
- “Any chance you can fast-track my expenses this month? Just so I have the cash for holiday.” Shows a bit of a, ‘it’s all about me attitude’ that bosses may take objection to.
This article is meant to bring a smile to your face as you secretly imagine your boss’s reaction to these questions; #guiltyworkpleasures. We know that you are smart people who like a bit of fun. Please share if you have enjoyed.
FREE GUIDE to determine if you have a good Employment tribunal Case
Not sure if you have a strong case or even any case at all for an employment tribunal?
Not sure if you should make a fuss? Feel lost and unsure? Download our free guide and in less than 5 minutes you'll know the answers and if you have a claim that might be worth something.
alone after being unfairly dismissed but don't want to go legal?
Get everything you need to make a case for compensation in less than 21 days. Without the high cost of a lawyer, endlessly searching online and even going as far as an Employment Tribunal. If you are scared about going legal and having a drawn out process. We understand. If you just want to get some compensation to help rebuild your live consider our proven strategy to get compensation through early conciliation.
How to write a powerful appeal letter so your employer takes you seriously.
Learn how to create a powerful appeal letter which makes your employer really consider your case and understand that you are a force to be reckoned with...even if you are no good at letter writing.
If you have been dismissed unfairly (sacked) or issued with a disciplinary warning with no process this detailed and effective training enables you to write a powerful appeal letter. Includes, templates, timelines and training.
online interview coming up?
Online interviews are definitely the future! If you need to reset your confidence levels for an online interview and not sure how to engage this course is for you. We cover the mindset and technology that you need to be successful and of course all the questions and the best responses and how to beat all the other candidates to the job. Plus there is an amazing session by a LinkedIn expert on how to impress and update your LinkedIn profile.
FREE Disciplinary Meeting Checklist Download
Never been to a disciplinary meeting? You're not alone! It's a scary thought. Worried about it being fair, how to act, what to say, what not to say and how to prepare? Download our free checklist so you go into the meeting feeling prepared, confident and able to challenge effectively. Our checklist will prepare you with everything you NEED to know.
redundancy APPEal Letter template
Need to appeal but not sure what to say and how to start? Download our quick and easy to use template an have your letter ready in less than an hour. You'll articulate your case clearly aligned with the law and it is do easy to use as we've done all the work for you!