We’ve all done it, before we’ve fully thought about it….. It’s out of our mouths…
Mum used to say, ‘Open your mouth and let your belly rumble’.
A minor badly timed question or quip normally gets a laugh, however, some badly positioned questions can be career dashing…
9 questions to avoid asking when talking with your boss, if you value your job…..equally if you don’t…. 😉
- Asking, in a rather direct tone, “What exact training and qualifications do you have….?.”
- “Did you pass all of your exams?…Really?!?…”
- “Is it is possible that you might “forget” to record the last time you were off sick on a Friday? HR don’t really need to know…. do they?” Completely overlooking the fact your boss and colleagues have had to pick up your work.
- “Do you think you’ll ever pick it up like John did?” John being their predecessor. Ouch!
- “What are you going to do to earn respect from this team?…They’re tough nuts to crack”
- “What’s your view on a wee drink at lunchtime?”
- “I know I am just back today, but it would be great if could prioritise approving my holiday request. Need to get it booked before the price goes up”
- “You must get loads of overtime”… unlikely managers are often paid a fixed salary and don’t get more for extra hours.
- “Any chance you can fast-track my expenses this month? Just so I have the cash for holiday.” Shows a bit of a, ‘it’s all about me attitude’ that bosses may take objection to.
This article is meant to bring a smile to your face as you secretly imagine your boss’s reaction to these questions; #guiltyworkpleasures. We know that you are smart people who like a bit of fun. Please share if you have enjoyed.